Scala Developer (Python, XML & JSON) - 3 month+ contract - Central London - £525-£565 p/d
We are looking for a Scala Developer to key play a role in the development of a free and unrestricted digital space for a historical public data collection.
Join a team of Developers working in a Digital platform team, the successful contractor will play a key role in the development of an unrestricted digital space for our clients showpiece, where the browsers can engage, be inspired and explore.
You'll help improve the digitisation, preservation and discovery of our clients historical public data in over forty languages. This will require working with catalogue metadata, a large corpus of OCRed text and many, many of millions of digitised assets.
Role will involve:
• Contribute to the architecture, development and continuous improvement of services that enable the digitisation, preservation and discovery of our historical data
• Deliver back-end solutions to a high level of quality, adhering to current best practice and internal standards for performance, reliability and test coverage
• Work with the rest of the team to take shared ownership of infrastructure management and operational awareness
• Ensure that solutions take into account the needs of researchers and the full diversity of our collections
• Support wider reuse of our approaches and collections, by working in the open and building to relevant open standards
• Undertake work in accordance with internal policies and principles
• Undertake any other work that may be reasonably required from time to time
Skills required to apply for this contract:
• Statically typed JVM language (preferably Scala)
• Dynamically typed language (preferably Python)
• Processing large sets of XML and JSON
• Understanding of microservices architecture
• Experience with Amazon Web Services, including ECS, S3 and Lambda
• Experience with Docker and Terraform would be an advantage
• Experience with DynamoDB or another similar NoSQL store would be an advantage
• Experience with Elasticsearch would be an advantage
Experience & Skills
• Extensive experience using multiple programming languages in a professional setting
• Familiarity with using distributed version control systems for collaboration and code review
• Experience using continuous integration, with automated infrastructure and deployment pipelines
• Experience of working in an agile development team, with a focus on delivery and user needs
• Proven capacity to think innovatively and creatively, to experiment with new approaches and to promote and manage change
• Experience building data management and workflow services would be an advantage
• Experience designing and implementing RESTful APIs would be an advantage
Interviews ASAP, start ASAP will wait a couple of weeks for the right candidate.